Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Flowery Day

When I went to my home town Lucknow in January this year I came to know that The National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI), Lucknow held its annual rose and gladiolus show on January 22 and 23, 2011. My father being a nature lover visited the Institute and I accompanied him with my mom and younger brother. Spending about half of my life in Lucknow I had never been to this flower show before, it was a great experience. There were beautiful flowers from all over the city at one place. We started with the rose collection display. There was a large variety of roses at display; it was the first time I was seeing so many different types of roses at one place. I was amazed by the roses. The flowers were arranged in beautiful patterns which made them more beautiful to look at. After rose collection we visited the gladiolus section. I did not know that the famous and beautiful gladiolus is available in so many varieties. Like roses these gladiolus were also arranged in beautiful patterns. After the flowers we took a tour of the NBRI. The institute was full of different varieties of fauna. In particular we visited the gladiolus gardens, the rose gardens and the bougainvillea gardens. I knew that bougainvillea is available in many colors but it has a large number of varieties I found that on that day. There was cactus garden also but it was not allowed to be visited at that period of time. I noticed there were many botanical researchers taking keen interest in the flowers and plants and were making fine study of the fauna available.After our tour we headed for some shopping for our small balcony garden. There were many stalls of various type of fertilizers-organic and inorganic, gardening tools, books on gardening, various equipments required in gardening, a large numbers of herbs and plants, various decorative pieces made of wood and plant parts etc. Also a few stalls where experts providing advices how to take care of plants. We purchased organic fertilizer, gladiolus and handicraft flowers. It was a nice day. At the end of the day of 23rd Jan prize distribution was also held. There were a few photographs me and my brother took which I want to share with all. 
                                                                                                                                                                                 
    
Indian gooseberry(Amla) at its full bloom










Some of The gladiolus Collection








The Beautiful Rose















The Center Place
The Gladiolus Garden








Way to Conservatory




Flora Study

The Run 





1 comment:

  1. I am perturbed to see such a horrible image 0f myself.
    The beauty of flowers and buds is faded in my weary outlook.
    I wish I could look half as good as the flowers (or even the vases that held them)!
    On the positive side of it, the experience was beyond words.
    Especially the last part where we took snaps in the open fields.
    I loved the whole exhibition.
    But a particular pic would have made it real fun.
    The one where you are riding the agriculture treading machine (I hope you remember)!
    I expect to see you again this winter so that we can all go and revisit the exhibition.
    See You soon.

    ReplyDelete